Apply for SNAP Benefits - SNAP is here to help during COVID
SNAP the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program provides a monthly supplement for purchasing nutritious food. Benefits are available to support families as well as the local economy. Temporary changes due to COVID-19 make it easier to apply and may increase your benefit amount.
View the Apply Info in English »»
View the Apply Info in Spanish »»
Apply for SNAP Benefits Over the Phone
The San Luis Valley Local Foods Coalition is now providing remote SNAP application appointments. Anyone wanting food assistance can call to complete an application. To schedule an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 719-937-2319, or text SNAP to 719-539-5606. You can also apply for SNAP benefits online at Colorado PEAK »» or by calling your local human services department. Emergency allotments for SNAP recipients not receiving the maximum amount will be issued on May 18-20th. Go to Hunger Free Colorado »» for any SNAP or food resource updates. Local food resources can be found at SLV COVID Food and Resource Directory »»
Greetings Fellow Eaters of South Central Colorado!
The Valley Roots Food Hub is a regional aggregator and distributor of local foods.
We build relationships in our communities by serving producers, grocers, restaurants, and institutions with the most fresh, and highest quality local foods from your friends and neighbors. We are excited to be offering our Supported Agriculture (CSA) and Wholesale Markets to you!
Source local foods weekly from our Southern Colorado Foodshed and thru the Denver Cooperative via these direct links for delivery of our locally grown sourced food!
For individuals and families for their homes:
CSA Market »» See more CSA sign up info below
For San Luis Valley and Chaffee County:
WHOLESALE Market »»
For Front Range via Tap Root Cooperative:
WHOLESALE Market »»
Market Orders are open for placement by 4pm on Sunday for delivery on Tuesday.
A $250 Order Minimum will receive Complimentary Delivery!
View YouTube Video - How to order from the Valley Roots Food Hub »»
Purchase dry goods in Alamosa at the Narrow Gauge Book Cooperative
The Valley Roots Food Hub is excited to offer a variety of dry goods, including Simply Honey, Taos Mountain Energy Bars, Pistachios, and more at the Narrow Gauge Book Cooperative (602 Main St, Alamosa, CO). Grab a snack and a good book and cozy up on one of their couches!
Valley Roots Food Hub - CSA Online Market is OPEN! (signup info below)
The Summer CSA Fresh Box is both a membership into the CSA Program and Summer distributions of Colorado storage crops and greenhouse production. The online CSA Market is a cutting-edge, informative, and effective way to shop for the freshest and best local foods right from the source. Learn more about Valley Roots CSA Sign Up below »»
Enjoy watching a CSA Slideshow of previous Fresh Food Box contents and the meals that came out of it! Watch CSA Video »»
Accepting SNAP in Combination with Double Up Food Bucks (DUFB)
We are also happy to announce that we are accepting SNAP EBT (Colorado Quest) in combination with Double Up Food Bucks (https://livewellcolorado.org/healthy-communities/double-up-colorado/double-food-bucks-colorado-faq/) for our CSA shares! Double Up Food Bucks allows SNAP users to effectively double the reach of their SNAP dollars when used on Colorado produce. This ends up cutting the cost of the CSA share in half! For more info on using SNAP/DUFB for a CSA share, please call 719-937-2319 and ask for Brandon or email email@example.com.
CSA Sign Up:
- Sign Up - Interested folks can register for an account here:
The sign up deadline for a 2018 CSA share TBD. Stay tuned for the Winter CSA December 2018-January 2019!
- Become a Member - When available on the website, you will select the 2018 Summer Fresh Box Multi-Farm CSA for $450 (which comes out to $35 a week) under Memberships (near the end of the catalog). The Summer CSA Distribution Box will allow you to use the CSA Online Market and add additional items to your CSA box if you would like. The Summer CSA Share includes all the local, FRESH foods from our region that can be procured at this time of year.
What is a Valley Roots Fresh Box? It's a $35 assortment of fresh produce, along with a surprise value-added item. It is a weekly distribution, 13-14 weeks. Here's an example of what you can expect to find in a box in late June:
- Organic Tieton Sweet Cherries, Black Bear Orchards, Palisade, CO
- Tomato, Beefsteak. Graber's Produce, Alamosa, CO
- Mesclun Mix, Ring a Ding Farms, Howard, CO
- Green Leaf Lettuce Head, Brightwater Farms, Monte Vista, CO
- Mushrooms Agaricus Button, Colorado Mushroom Farm, Alamosa, CO
- Russet Potatoes, COG, White Rock Specialties, Mosca, CO
- Red Radish, COG, White Mountain Farm, Mosca
- Turnips, COG, WMF
- Cilantro, COG, WMF
- Garlic Scapes, Antonia Garcia
- Sunflower Oil, Colorado Mills, Lamar, CO
- This list is an example only, the final list may change depending availability and market conditions, but will come out to the expected value. Like the spirit of a traditional CSA, half the excitement is in the element of surprise.
- Payment - Payments are made via credit card at checkout. Your card won't be charged until about a week after placing the order. SNAP and Double-Up Food Bucks are now in place through the Double-Up program, meaning that a weekly box will come out to around $17.50 SNAP per week ($225 for the season)! To set up SNAP payments, please contact Brandon Cox at 719-937-2319 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivery - The 2018 Summer Fresh Box Multi-Farm CSA is for 13-14 weeks and will be composed of One Box available for pickup on Fridays. Please refer to the dates listed at sign up. The other items you purchase from the CSA Market will also come on those days. The pick up locations will be:
- Alamosa at the SLV Local Food Coalition office starting at 12pm
- Creede at 10am (contact us for delivery details)
- Crestone at Chokecherry Farm starting at 2pm
- Saguache at Saguache Works starting at 3pm
- Salida at Season's Cafe starting at 4pm
- Deadlines - Your Summer CSA is due as soon as possible (so we can plan) and the CSA Market items will be due the Tuesday 4pm before that Friday's delivery.
Please direct any questions to our Manager Nick Chambers at: email@example.com or 719-588-8245. Learn more about the Valley Roots Food Hub by visiting the website at: https://www.valleyrootsfoodhub.com
2018 VRFH Summer Shindig celebrated SLV Producers!
To kick off the agricultural season, the Valley Roots Food Hub team hosted an authentic farm-to-table dinner at the Colorado Farm Brewery. The event boasted a delicious farm-to-beer selection from the Colorado Malting Company, the best San Luis Valley and Colorado local foods, and traditional, foot stomping bluegrass from Kantankerous! The event also included kids activities, a petting zoo, and friends abound. See Event Celebration Poster »»